FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Kori Anderson
MSGA seeks new Manager of Communications
The Montana Stockgrowers Association is currently seeking applicants for the Manager of Communications position. If you have extensive knowledge of Montana agriculture, enjoy advocating on behalf of Montana’s ranchers, and want to be a part of a small team, this could be the role for you.
Reports To: MSGA Executive Vice President
Responsible for all formal association communications including public relations, member communications, as well as acting as senior editor of all association publications and written materials. Monitors and reports on the beef industry and ranching issues in the traditional and trade media and online and helps develop and disseminate issue information to association stakeholders. Serves as the media contact person. Provides staff support for various MSGA committees and boards. Provides staff support for the policy development process.
- Produces the monthly MSGA newsletter publication: develops editorial plans, solicits articles from contributors, writes articles, edits material, coordinates advertisement rates and placements, plans and directs production schedules, coordinates with printinghouse, and ensures effective delivery to recipients.
- Manages and updates the MSGA website to provide effective association communications and public relations.
- Produces outreach content through social media tools like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Produces annual Cattle Directory publication: solicits and gathers listings; coordinates advertisements and priority pages; plans, solicits and edits articles and other content; assists with Priority Page auction at Annual Convention; maintains Priority Page buyer relations; provides an updateto Seedstock Committee at MSGA Mid-Year Meeting and Annual Convention.
- Compiles issue information for weekly update email to members and association stakeholders.
- Reports and distributes timely and accurate information from the State Legislative Assembly on issues pertinent to MSGA.
- Develops and maintains media relations strategies with assistance from other staff and volunteer leadership as needed.
- Serves as the mediacontact for direct media inquiries, directing calls to other staff, board, andmembership, or speaking on behalf of the organization as necessary.
- Responds in a timelymanner to information requests received from the media, MSGA staff, local partner organization staff, and national industry stakeholder organizations.
- Maintains media distributionlists and list of association spokespeople.
- Writes, edits and distributes press releases, audio/visual clips and issue response information including letters-to-the-editor, media talking points, FAQs, reports, etc.
- Monitors media regarding beef industry issues: tracksand reports on key industry issues in the traditional media and appearing online, keeps a recordof MSGA media mentions to gauge the effectivenessof media/public relations efforts.
- Develops media training strategies for MSGA members, board, and staff.
- Assists with associated organization publicity when requested. (i.e., Montana Public Lands Council, Montana Association of State Grazing Districts, Montana CattleWomen, etc.)
- Provides staff support to the Beef Production and Marketing Committee.
- Provides staff support for the policy development process at MSGA’s Mid-Year Meeting and Annual Convention: coordinates second reading and third reading processes, updates policy book each year.
- Coordinates/Administers the Montana Environmental Stewardship Award Program, Young Cattlemen’s Conference and Educational Heritage Scholarship
- Coordinates Montana entries/nominations for state and national awards.
- Completes various administrative tasks related to job responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned with regards to association programs and public relations efforts.
Qualifications: Successful candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in agricultural communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, or related field of study, and/or have relevant experience. A background in livestock or agricultural practices is desired but not required. Successful candidates should have strong organizational skills, writing and communications skills, and the ability to meet deadlines. Experience and knowledge in photography, video production, social media, and website management isdesired. Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of software, Adobe InDesign, WordPress, and HTML is a plus.
Additional Information: Salary based on experience. Please send cover letter and resume to Katie Stokes at email@example.com, or 420 N. California St., Helena, MT 59601.